Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Enjoy your food

Do you remember the last time you really tasted a juicy grapefruit? The other night as I was enjoying my last snack. I was working on savoring my grapefruit. Oh man was that grapefruit so tasty. I forgot how good grapefruits were. I have eaten a few in the last month but for some reason I didn't taste them. Have you ever noticed that? Finishing a meal and realizing you didn't really taste it. That is the whole point of Savoring your food, so that at the end of the meal you remember how good it tasted and feel satisfied. I have caught myself many times taking seconds just for another taste of the food I didn't quite taste. As I have been trying to savor my food I have realized I still remember how tasty that food was an hour later.
Another reason for savoring your food is so that you will recognize when you are full. Did you know it takes your brain 20 minutes to realize your full? If you take your time eating and really savoring your food by the time you are done with your first helping you should start to feel full and realize you really don't need that second helping.
So as you are enjoying your meals take your time, remember how much you enjoy the sensation of orange chicken, fettuccine alfredo, green beans, a juicy pink grapefruit. Savor them.

2 comments:

Shereen said...

This is the thing I think I'm having the hardest time with. I'm so used to having to scarf something down and run off to the next event for the kids.

Unknown said...

Remembering to savor has been good for me! This helps a lot. I think I've become a gulper!